5 Facts You May Not Know About Richer Sounds and How the Stories You Tell Make a Big Difference!
At Quite Great, we live and breathe PR, from promoting music to introducing new products and inventions to news of good causes and charities and brands. Brand PR and marketing is a fascinating, exciting and incredibly inventive world. Just think of all the brands you see every day and take for granted, from Coca Cola to Sky to Rolls Royce. All of them started as an initial idea and but grew into ideas and images which immediately mean something to us. Successful brands tell us stories, entertain us and engage with us in many different ways. We love digging under the surface of brands and discovering more, it’s both inspiring and fascinating!
Starting a new series looking at brands and their stories, we look at Richer Sounds, one of the most respected names on the UK high street and one where the brand, marketing, PR and public perception go hand in hand.
- It’s all in the name! Richer Sounds — as well as describing the audio and visual equipment they sell — is also a play on the founder’s name, Julian Richer.
- The first branch was based right next to London Bridge in 1978 and it has held the record for the highest sales in comparison to its size for any store in the world! Size isn’t everything after all!
- Julian Richer and Richer Sounds are renowned for their commitment to good working conditions for their staff, calling for zero-hour contracts to be banned, a living wage and more equality in the workplace and even giving every employee (apart from the directors!) £1000 of his own money when he sold 60% of the shares! The company is now majority-owned by the employees.
- Julian has written two books, including the hugely-respected The Richer Way, on how to motivate your staff and make your workplace a great place to be.
- Awarded a Royal Warrant in 2011, 15% of Richer Sound’s profits go to charity, the most given by any privately-owned company.